By David Brown, Andre Damon, December 7, 2012
A 73-year old Alabama woman visiting relatives in Taylor, Michigan burned to death in a mobile home Thursday morning in a fire rescuers believe could have been ignited by a space heater.
Firefighter says budget cuts are “killing people.”
By Lawrence Porter, Bryan Dyne, November 21, 2012
A fire on the west side of Detroit early Sunday morning resulted in the deaths of an elderly couple in their 70s, Kyle and Theresa Bozeman.
By Nick Barrickman, October 13, 2012
Not until later reports of the tragedy were made public was it revealed that four of the five deaths were young children.
By Lawrence Porter, Bryan Dyne, October 3, 2012
WSWS reporters spoke to firefighters at the premiere of Burn: One Year on the Front Lines of the Battle to Save Detroit.
By David Brown, June 27, 2012
Democratic Party Mayor Dave Bing of Detroit has announced plans to lay off 18 percent of the city’s firefighters.
Statement by Phyllis Scherrer, SEP candidate for vice president
By Phyllis Scherrer, April 21, 2012
The tragic fires in Philadelphia last week, which claimed the lives of six residents and two firefighters, are an indictment of the social conditions created by the crisis and decay of American capitalism.
By Naomi Spencer, April 18, 2012
Three fires in less than a week have claimed eight lives in Philadelphia. Behind the tragedies looms a spiraling social crisis in the United States.
By Clara Weiss, April 7, 2012
At least 17 migrant workers, apparently undocumented and from Central Asian republics, died in a horrific fire in the southwest of Moscow early Tuesday morning.
By Clement Daly, March 26, 2012
A house fire in Charleston, West Virginia early Saturday morning left nine dead, including seven children.
By David Brown, March 6, 2012
A house fire Sunday night in a Detroit working class neighborhood claimed the life of an elderly woman and hospitalized her husband. WSWS reporters spoke with some of the neighbors.
By Christopher Davion, Kristina Betinis, January 18, 2012
A 32-year old woman died last week when the apartment building elevator delivered her into a blaze on the 12th floor.
By Naomi Spencer, December 30, 2011
A Columbus, Ohio family was killed in a house fire on Christmas Eve after a space heater ignited the mattress they were sleeping on.